Glycol is a type of alcohol containing hydroxyl and carbon groups. Various compounds of glycol such as ethylene glycol and propylene glycol find applications in several industries. Since, propylene glycol is not toxic, it is used extensively in the food and beverage industry, cosmetics, and oral hygiene products. So, these glycol compounds are manufactured in large amounts and they need to be stored safely. For this, glycol storage tanks or industrial storage tanks are used. This post discusses the details of glycol storage.
Features and Other Details of Glycol
Glycol compounds are pretty much stable fluids with a low freezing point. They may be classified as flammable or inflammable. However, at normal temperatures, most of these compounds are stable and inflammable. Some glycol compounds such as ethylene glycol are toxic. These liquids are mostly colorless, viscous, and sweet in taste. They are used as anti-freeze agents in certain formulations and as a raw material in manufacturing certain synthetic fibers. They typically do not have any odor. In many industries, they are used as solvents, thickening agents, cleaning agents, moisture carriers, softeners. This is one reason they find applications in cosmetics, soaps, paints, and cleaning compounds.
Factors to Consider When Buying Glycol Storage Tanks
The storage tank type and material among other properties largely depend on the glycol compound to be stored in it, such as ethylene glycol or propylene glycol, among other factors. As a manufacturer, if you require glycol storage tanks, here are some pointers which may help:
- These tanks should be made of good-quality and robust materials such as carbon steel or stainless steel. The piping materials may be made of aluminum. Ensure that no galvanized metal is used to make the drum as it may lead to corrosion when it comes in contact with glycol ethers. Reactive metals such as copper and bronze should also not be used because they may cause discoloration.
- The orientation, whether vertical or horizontal, of the tank would depend on the capacity of storage you require. For instance, a vertical glycol tank may require less space but its storage capacity is lesser than a horizontal one.
- It is a good idea to ground a glycol tank to eliminate the issue of static discharge.
- These tanks must have pressure vacuum relief valves (PVRV) as most glycol ethers are hygroscopic in nature. They help reduce the entry of moisture from the outer environment because of subtle pressure changes.
- A buyer must validate the welding procedures used to manufacture these glycol tanks.
- Also, check for the welding equipment used such as submerged arc which ensure smooth welding.
- Cleaning and maintenance procedures are crucial for glycol storage tanks, and hence ensure your tank manufacturer provides these services.
- These tanks must undergo thorough testing and inspection procedures and checks to see if they comply with ASME specifications. Also, documentation is an important step, and a copy of the user document must be given to the client after installation.
- Ensure the manufacturer meets all the local as well as federal regulations required to manufacture these tanks.
- Above all this, human safety is of utmost importance. So, when using or cleaning these tanks, ensure that you do not inhale the glycol vapor and avoid skin and eye contact with it. This is one reason why following the standard procedures and documenting them is important.
Applications of Industrial Glycol Tanks
Glycol storage tanks have a wide application in various industrial segments. Some of them include:
- Petroleum refineries
- Natural gas
- HVAC systems
- Chemical plants
- Pulp and paper
- Power stations
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing units
Are you a manufacturer looking for glycol or you need a glycol storage tanks? Make sure you choose the right manufacturer who can customize the design based on your process requirements. Also, manufacturers of glycol storage tanks need to comply with ASME standards. BEPeterson has been in the market for decades and is a well-known manufacturer and supplier of a variety of industrial storage tanks and vessels.